1. Treat every meeting with anyone as a potential interview. You never know who is watching you!
2. Dress properly. Look professional. A neutral colored business suit (navy blue or gray are best), with a nice white shirt, a nice pair of shoes (ladies, don’t wear a super tall heel), hair out of your face, no over-the-top accessories (ladies, if you must wear earrings, wear a small pair of studs). You don’t want your outfit talking for you. You want your words to be talking for you!
3. Be slightly early. 5-7 minutes early is a good time frame. You NEVER want to be late! Don’t be too early either. Be respectful of the interviewer’s time.
4. Have a firm handshake. One of my biggest pet peeves in life is when someone has a weak, limp noodle hand shake. You don’t want to over-power or squeeze anyone’s hand, but you do want to show that you have confidence in yourself.
5. Maintain eye contact. When you can look someone in the eyes it shows that you respect them and have a healthy self respect.
6. Turn off your phone before you even walk in the building. Enough said.
7. Know what job you are interviewing for. Find out as much information as you can before you even walk into the office.
8. Be friendly and cordial. The employer is taking time out his/her day to dedicate to you. They are also seeing if you can work well with others. Always have a positive attitude!
9. Send a follow up thank you note RIGHT AFTER THE INTERVIEW! That will make you stand out among other job seekers.
These are just a few tips, but they are very important. If you want to land your dream job, it is important to be as prepared as possible and be confident!